Thanksgiving Pet Safety

Thanksgiving Pet Safety

For many of us, Thanksgiving usually includes four-day weekends, football games, floats and feasting on turkey with family and friends.

Last year a client’s mischievous puppy managed to sneak into the garbage can after Thanksgiving dinner and ingested turkey bones which had to be surgically removed.

Bones (of any kind) can splinter and get stuck in the windpipe, stomach or intestines. If the bone fragments have moved along they can be very sharp and scrape the inside of the large intestine or rectum causing severe pain and bleeding.

Turkey skin and fat are also bad for dogs and could trigger the life threatening condition Pancreatitis.

If you can’t resist sharing your Thanksgiving feast with your furry family member, the best options would be small portions of lean white meat from the breast, plain mashed potatoes, plain canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling with sugar and spices) or some plain green beans.

We are truly thankful for our clients and appreciate the confidence that they place in us to help them through their pet’s emergency needs. We are here for you 24 / 7 / 365.

Read more at:

https://www.avma.org/public/PetCare/Pages/thanksgiving-pet-safety.aspx